Chiropodists and podiatrists are healthcare professionals specifically trained to diagnose and treat conditions of the feet and lower limbs. Therefore, finding a chiropodist near you in Loughton is your best option if you suffer from any foot problems! Chiropodists like ourselves are skilled in preventing and correcting deformities, keeping individuals active, relieving pain and treating infection.
What treatments do you give?
Chiropody treatments in Loughton include mitigating foot problems, including:
- Corns and calluses – Corns are small lumps of hard skin, whereas calluses appear in larger patches of rough, thick skin. Often, pain arises when participating in exercise; this can be something as simple as walking. A chiropodist can remove corns and calluses, allowing you a pain-free life.
- Athlete’s foot – Athlete’s foot is a common fungal infection that can reoccur if not efficiently treated; symptoms include itchy white patches between the toes, sore and flaky patches on your feet and red patches of skin. Usually, you can expect to experience stinging and itchiness. A chiropodist can treat the condition and ensure it will not return.
- Verrucas – At some point in your life, you’re bound to be affected by a verruca. They are small lumps of hard skin known to appear on the feet; they also show tiny black dots in the centre – these are the verrucas blood vessels. Sadly, verrucas are incredibly infectious and can stay with you for a long while, even when taking medication. Chiropodists have specialised treatment procedures for verrucas; this allows them to be treated quickly and precisely, like swift microwave therapy, verruca needling or acid treatment.
Some of the other common problems we treat in Loughton include:
- Toenail issues.
- Smelly feet.
- Dry and cracked feet.
- Flat feet.
How should I prepare for my appointment?
Below, you will find a list of preparation techniques to ensure your visit with a Loughton chiropody clinic is a success:
- Compose a list of all your concerns and questions. Make sure you include when the problem started, what aggravates it, where it occurs and how often.
- Do you find you have a specific pair of shoes prone to causing you discomfort? Well, bring them along! The more help, the better. The shoes may assist in identifying the problem, and you’ll find the process will move much faster.
- If your problem is a sprained ankle, you may also visit a chiropodist! They can help make sure that your ligaments heal properly.
What can I expect at my first consultation?
At a typical chiropodist appointment in Loughton, your healthcare professional will first take a complete medical history and conduct basic tests. For instance, they may look at how you walk and how your legs and back move with each step.
Your chiropodist will develop a diagnosis and treatment plan to get you back to normality if any issues are found. Generally, many problems encountered by a chiropodist are inconsequential and easily treated on the spot. Furthermore, as a further assisting factor, if you find it difficult to walk or get to a clinic, the Loughton chiropodists will arrange a home visit.
How do I care for my feet after my appointment?
It is advised that you avoid wearing shoes with pointed toes or flat soles as they may add pressure at the wrong point on your feet.
Many people fail to realise that cleaning your shoes frequently is also an essential factor in keeping your feet healthy, as well as safeguarding your feet by throwing away old footwear. Decrepit shoes will lose their shape and rigidity, leading to further foot problems, and I’m sure this is the last thing you want after resolving a previous issue!
Cleaning your feet daily, ensuring not to forget about between the toes and cutting your nails straight across can save you from foot fungus and ingrown toenails.
And, finally, to save yourself from calluses and open sores, moisturise your feet every time you wash them!